10.09.2009

those are NOT sticks!

So this morning around 7:30, Mike calls to me from the living room, "Martha, come here." I was in the middle of changing Will's diaper (yeah, he STILL wears diapers.... one major life change at a time, please) so I said I would be there in a minute. And his response was, "uh, no. You need to come see this right now."

As I get to the living room, he tells me to look out on the back porch and his only other comment is, "those are NOT sticks!"




Those are earthworms!!!! And this picture does not do it justice - they are COVERING the back patio!!! The only thing I can figure out is that the ground is so saturated from all the recent rain we have had (past weeks, plus ALL last night) that their earthworm holes/colonies/whatever got flooded and they were forced to seek higher ground.



And that is not even the worst "eeewwww" factor.
We are blessed with an original-to-our-25-yr-old-house sliding glass door off the back patio, so you KNOW it doesn't seal the way it should. And of course, some of those suckers had wriggled their slimy, nasty little bodies INTO OUR HOUSE. My only consolation is that as soon as they get in the house out of the rain, they dry up and shrivel and DIE! Of course, Mike did the worm clean-up
.

And the best part of this post... Mike calls me from work to take a picture of them because no one at his work believes him!

There - proof that once again, only the super-weird, crazy house stuff happens to us! We have officially been invaded by earthworms!

No comments: